Wednesday, March 9, 2011

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes...

Last week was Dr. Seuss' Birthday. In Elementary School they might as well make it a National holiday. We didn't only celebrate on Wednesday, his actual birthday. Oh no. It was Dr. Seuss WEEK at the school. Yes. You heard me. All week long we celebrated this legendary children's book author and illustrator. I believe he deserves a week devoted to him. Dr. Seuss has always been one of my favorites. With his silly rhymes and fantasized characters, he knows how to draw children in with awe and amazement at his whacky stories.

Every day was a different dress up day. The dress up days were coordinated with the book of the day which we read aloud during Reading time.

Monday: Go Green Day (Green Eggs & Ham)
Tuesday: Silly Sock Day (Fox in Socks)
Wednesday: Wacky Wednesday (Wacky Wednesday)
Thursday: Pajama Day  (I Am Not Going To Get Up Today)
Friday: Hat Day (Cat In The Hat)


On Monday they served up green eggs and ham in the cafeteria. Luckily, I was at Interview day and missed this [not so] appetizing dish being served. Thursday was by far the best day. Whenever you get to wear pajamas to school, you are guaranteed to have a great day. I had never read I Am Not Going To Get Up Today, but coming from someone who loves to sleep in...I am now a big fan of this book.

Speaking of being a fan...that brings me to my next fun activity of the week. An activity that evoked loud squeals and googly eyes from the girls and exasperated sighs and rolling eyes from the boys. Two words: Bieber Fever. Yes, Justin Bieber. The most current child/tween heartthrob that has captured young girls (and some boys...) everywhere. The Jonas Brothers are so yesterday. Biebs is an absolute stud and something about his sweet smile, his silky blonde hair swoop, and his smooth voice are sure to make any young girl swoon. Now I know you're wondering what in the world this has to do with Dr. Seuss week. Some genius (no sarcasm, seriously) came up with the idea to have this kid celebrity do a read aloud of Cat In The Hat. No big deal, right? Wrong. They recorded it, threw in a green screen for some special effects, and made sure he smiled and flipped his hair...a lot. The minute I put this video on, they were mesmerized. For 10 minutes my students were absolutely enthralled in the story...and in Justin Bieber. But hey, whatever works right? I'm thinking Bieber should start recording math and reading lessons and post them on YouTube. Imagine the classroom management and behavior problems that might fix. I give to you...Justin Bieber reading Cat In The Hat. 



On Friday I ended up bringing in some Dr. Seuss books I had at home. My sweet grandmother has started sending me children's books in the mail. I can remember her taking us to Books-A-Million when we were younger and I know how much she loves books. It warms my heart to think loves going to the children's section and browsing for books for me to use in my classroom. I always tell my students about her when I read a book she has given me and I feel like she's a part of our read aloud. She has sent me several Dr. Seuss books. I chose one of my favorites to read, Oh The Places You'll Go. I hadn't read it in a while and after reading it aloud I felt absolutely inspired and filled with happiness. That's what I love about these books. They all have a hidden message, which is why Seuss' books are timeless and so inspiring. Wether or not the children understand, hopefully someday they'll pick Horton Hears a Who back up and come to see a new story when they read it. Maybe that's exactly what Dr. Seuss intended. Smart man, that Seuss. Go to the library and check out some Seuss books. You're not too old. Or if you'd rather...just let Biebs read to you.


Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.
.......
Kid, you'll move mountains!
So...be your names Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray or Mordecai Ale Van Allen O'Shea, 
You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!

Oh The Places You'll Go
By Dr. Seuss


1 comment:

  1. When I was reading this I was thinking, "She didn't include my favorite . . . " but then I read a little further and there it was. I LOVE "Oh the Places You'll Go!" I always think of the video you made for your friends after graduation. And then I think of the places you've gone!

    (Saw your latest comment on my blog. Not an inconvenience at all, just one more thing I have to do, but will be worth it. I'll have more control once you're home!) :-)

    ReplyDelete