Monday, April 18, 2011

Pump the Brakes!

Senioritis has definitely kicked in. Actually it did the minute junior year ended and senior year began. I didn't know there was such a thing in college, but there most definitely is. Although it comes in a different form. In high school you count down the days until prom, graduation, and departure for college. In college, the countdown to graduation is a touchy subject and too depressing to even bring up. And although the fun weekend events in the Spring are some of the best to look forward to; they also serve as a reminder that you're getting closer and closer to the end. And this time, the end isn't just the end of the semester...it is literally the end.

I guess you could say I like to be social. Exhibit A: I stay up way too late simply because I don't want to miss anything. Ask my friends. I require little sleep. Don't get me wrong, I love nothing more than sleeping in, but I would also stay up until 2 in the morning every night if I could. And I have done so all through college, until my internship allowed me not to do so. I tried a few times, but the following day at school was never a fun one.

In addition to being a social butterfly, I also love planning. I love keeping in touch with people. My friends have actually dubbed me the "Social Networking Queen", I like to think its a compliment, but sometimes I'm not so sure. I love having people over, cooking, having parties, going to parties, meeting people for lunch/dinner/ice cream (not a big "let's get coffee" kind of person...that phrase actually drives me crazy). Really I just love being with people. And lucky for me my job will allow me to be surrounded by a classroom full of (little) people.

Spring Semester in college for our friends usually involves pulling out our calendars and planning weekends. Since the Fall is strictly football, we make sure to try and make the Spring equally exciting. Although this year the Fall was a tough act to follow after an undefeated season and a National Championship. Over the past 3 years our Springs have included lake trips, beach trips, Nashville trips, Birmingham trips, concerts, (most recently) weddings, and of course the traditional Spring functions: Spring Break, formal, rodeo, Greek Sing, socials, and the list goes on. I was always under the impression that the Spring would be more relaxed, but it actually ends up being a whirlwind of miscellaneous events.All of the fun times with friends and lounging in the afternoons/evenings with not a care in the world, is about to quickly turn into playing catch-up with phone conversations and planned reunions instead, as we all go our separate ways.

Sadly, all of the fun spring weekends for 2011 have almost come to an end. (minus our sweet friend Georgia getting married on the 7th!). I have only been home once since Christmas, due to the fact that we have had something every weekend. I'll be going home this coming weekend for Easter, and after not having seen my family in over 2 months, I am definitely looking forward to my time at home. After this weekend, the next time I make the drive from Auburn to Nashville will be post-graduation and it won't just be for the weekend. I will unpack my car and move back in to my room at home with my parents. Most would dread this, but fortunately I have a great relationship with my mom and dad and kind of look forward to being with them again. That doesn't mean it won't be a major transition. After living with my best friends for 4 years, coming and going as I please, and (in the most conservative way) doing what I want; it is going to be a serious change.

The next few months are going to be hectic, to say the least, in the McKinney household. I graduate in May. Daniel's fiance, Krista, graduates from grad school. David graduates from high school (he's actually enjoying his countdown, unlike myself). Wedding showers and preparation galore. And the big day is June 18th. After that my mom and I are considering taking a beach vacation to relax and debrief from the fun and hectic times. Well deserved, don't you think? 

This past weekend was the last big spring weekend for me in Auburn. I'll be sure and enjoy every minute of the free weekend here between Easter and Graduation. Although, that weekend may mean going full emo mode while packing; filled with tears and depressing thoughts about leaving this place and my friends. This morning I woke up and had an email about graduation. That's when it hit me that it is only 21 days away. Where have my last 4 years gone?! I feel like I was just moving into my freshmen dorm; like I was just walking up the stairs as I watched my parents drive away crying like babies leaving me. Now they're probably crying like babies, not because I'm leaving, but because I'm coming back home. (Joke....kind of.)

I tend to overuse phrases sometimes. One of my most recent is "pump the brakes". Meaning, slow down and take it easy. I feel like this is extremely fitting right now. If only I could look life in the face and yell "PUMP THE BRAKES!" I have a feeling life would look right back at me and say "Get used to it...there's no slowing down". So I guess I should get use to it. 

Pictures from our final Spring (2011) 















3 comments:

  1. Well, we will try to make life as easy and manageable for you as possible once you move back in. I think the best thing will be for us to sit down together and establish expectations and ground rules, don't you think? That way everything is out in the open from the start.

    And oh, I have been trying to pump those brakes since about the time you were born . . . or maybe since you got over colic . . . but the harder I pump, the more things just seem to accelerate. So we have to just enjoy every moment and savor it all while we can.

    We'll have to see if the budget allows for a beach vacation. Just not sure about that.

    If you want to start cleaning things out, throwing things away and packing up a bit, that will help with the transition.

    Love you Sweetie . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know that college has been such a wonderful experience for you. It was for my younger daughter, too. She'd be the first to tell you, though, that it only gets better as you continue on in life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Dad, looking forward to those "ground rules" and expectations....

    Beach Vacay will happen. You can join if you'd like of course.

    I've already started packing and cleaning out. You'd be proud. But much will still need to be done once you arrive... :)

    Kelly, glad to know it only gets better! :)

    ReplyDelete