Sunday, May 29, 2011

My Life: The Musical

I'm one of "those people" that hums at really inappropriate times; like at the dinner table, a meeting, class, etc. (unaware that I am doing so of course). I never just have one song stuck in my head, I have multiple. On any given day I could easily be compared to an iPod shuffle. My roommate walked in one time and I was singing a Bob Marley song while cooking dinner, later that night I was in the shower singing Garth Brooks. You never know what song I will start singing next, nor do you know which verse I will begin with. If I start in the middle of a song, or even in the middle of a verse, it is most likely due to the fact that I don't know the words. I am terrible with lyrics. I turn up my music in the car so that I can sing and pretend to know the words. With the security of the increased noise level, my voice is dulled and I can simply mumble and move my lips. As long as I know the tune, no one will ever know...until they turn the music down, which has revealed some funny lyric misconceptions.

There is a recent song by The Band Perry called If I Die Young. The first line, that is also sung repeatedly throughout the song goes like this: "If I die young, bury me in satin." For the first few months I was singing "....bury me in silence"...yeah Maggie, that makes sense. But let's be honest, being buried in satin doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Or the line of that same song that says "the sharp knife of a short life". I was singing..."the sharp night of assured life". I could go on and on recalling countless songs and lyrics that have never quite settled in my brain. Its a mental block, I can't help it. I also have what has been called by my friends, "Song A.D.D.". I usually click "Next Track" before the chorus has begun. I just like to hear a little bit of everything. This annoys my friends to no end. This habit probably explains my mental block, and my shuffled singing throughout the day. Maybe I should listen to the song in its entirety for a change.

That being said, and having a brain full of music, I find that I can always take any given situation and put a song to it. For instance, just the other day I was telling someone I'd say a prayer for them. Immediately insert song in head. The rest of the day I had I Say A Little Prayer For You stuck in my head. ALL. DAY. LONG. If any phrase is spoken that may have a parallel to a song I know, I'll start singing, or at least store it away to sing later that day. There must be a jukebox in my head that just rotates songs based on subject matter.

Music makes things more fun. It sets a certain tone and instills more emotion than silence does; although silence sometimes serves as equally important. We watch slideshows that have music because it evokes feeling from the audience, we listen to music when we run because it gives us a beat and motivates us, movies have music that give life to the film and create suspense and excitement for the viewer, and there is music at most events we attend in order to set the mood; whether it be joyful or somber.

I have a list in my head of random wishes. And when I say random, I mean random. For example one of them is that I wish driving burned calories, especially after long roadtrips. Another is that I wish I could have a lifetime supply of Goldfish and peanut M&Ms (combined of course). Another is that I wish my life had a Maestro and a soundtrack. I wish there was some invisible director that followed me around 24/7 and could cue the (again, invisible) Maestro to play a song that paralleled with my current situation, whatever it may be. If I'm feeling mellow, play me some soft Jack Johnson. If I'm angry or feel betrayed, give me Rolling in the Deep by Adele. When all of my girlfriends are doing something fun, all of a sudden Cyndi Lauper's voice comes out of nowhere and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun adds a little more excitement to the picture. You're running towards a finish line and maestro plays Chariots of Fire, the ultimate slow-mo song. Tell me you wouldn't have more fun in life if everything had music to it.

One of my all time favorite movie scenes comes from a movie called 500 Days of Summer. Its a bit of a quirky movie and definitely not what you'd expect, from what is supposedly a story about two people in love. I actually am shocked I like it. I like the predictable, sappy, not so original chick flicks. Definitely not my type of movie, but I highly recommend it! Very realistic and accurately portrays relationships, while at the same time contains wit and sarcasm that will have you laughing throughout. This particular scene is the morning after an evening he has spent with a girl he has fallen absolutely head over heels for. After seeing this clip, if you haven't seen the movie, you'll probably assume this movie is a musical. Don't be fooled, it is not. He was simply feeling ever so chipper and felt that he needed dancers, a marching band, and even an animated bird to join him and celebrate to start his day and share the sheer joy he felt. Now all I asked for was a song, but next time I have a really spectacular day, I'm thinking I'll look into choreographing a routine to show the public just how happy I am. Tell me you wouldn't join in if you saw this guy in the park.

3 comments:

  1. Well a lot of this musical stuff you come by quite honestly. Let's don't sing at the table, though, Sweetie.

    And I'm one of the best at "wrong" lyrics. There's this song from my era that has this spoken line, "Big boys don't cry" and for years I thought it was "Requesting quiet." And I'm not the only one.

    The change-tracks-after-only-a-few-lines-thing IS annoying, I must say. I might be really enjoying a song, then you decide you are done with it.

    Maybe I should get my own i-POD??????? NAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I'll try this again using an account other than google (since I do have a WP acct. and a LJ acct.)

    I loved this post since I can relate in SO many ways!! I am constantly humming (also have that problem with remembering lyrics) and find myself doing it everywhere. It's a wonder I don't get more odd looks at places like WalMart.

    I also keep that running soundtrack in my head. My kids use to play a game where they'd hum a little tune while in the same room with me. Sure enough, a few minutes later they'd come back and hear me humming the same tune. At least if any annoying song gets stuck in my head I can usually just think of something else and switch!

    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha Kelly I'm so glad you can relate!! It must be more common than I thought. Glad to know someone shares this problem...although I don't hate it. I like always having music in my head :)

    ReplyDelete