Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Be hospitable without complaint.

How many times have you been asked to "describe yourself in one word"? One of those interview questions I dread. How am I supposed to impress these people with one word in hopes I don't come off as one who thinks quite highly of themselves? I think this question should be restricted from interview questions simply because I believe it is near impossible to confine one's character and personality in a single word.

Now to completely contradict what I just said, I am going to celebrate someone on my blog today who deserves a million words to describe how wonderful and great and loving they are (see...there were 3 words already). Today is my mom's birthday. She quite possibly encompasses any adjective that has synonyms such as kind, loving, genuine, compassionate, caring, sweet, giving, beautiful, amazing, etc. etc. etc. You get the idea. But if I had to pick one word, that was also representative of her spiritual gift; it would be hospitable. Webster defines "hospitable" as "given to generous and cordial reception of guests".

In 1 Peter, Paul says "Be hospitable to one another without complaint. As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."

The Greek word, hospitable, as Paul used it meant quite literally "Stranger-loving, kind to strangers". Being from the south, we understand hospitable to be hosting friends and family wether it be parties, weddings, showers, tailgates, dinners, etc. However Paul tells us here to love strangers. Sounds simple, but more times than not we pass by opportunities to help or serve others. Maybe it is so out of our comfort zone, or maybe we aren't observant enough to notice the strangers that we could be loving.

If I've learned anything from my mother it is to love on others. She has been blessed with the gift of hospitality. She can cook for the masses and those masses will leave with full bellies of homemade goodness. She can turn a dining room table into a beautiful masterpiece with unique touches that draw everything together. She can throw a graduation party that will bring an entire class of seniors to one house just for her famous stuffed mushrooms and butter gooey cake. She can make a bride and her bridesmaids feel like princesses the day before the big day. She can love on people any where any time, given any circumstance simply because she sees people and has a desire to engage with them and put a smile on their face.

We often give her a hard time about her tendency to talk to anyone in public; especially anyone who she senses she might have some sort of connection with that could strike up a conversation. Just recently she and my dad went to Disney World. Coincidentally, they kept running into the same family throughout the day. As you would guess, my mom didn't hesitate to start small talk with the mother of this family. This small talk turned into several conversations throughout the day and by the end of the day my mom was able to tell my dad all about this woman's life; her friends back home, her marriage, her family. My dad asked if he had gotten her name. She hadn't. She had just simply conversed with her throughout the day.

She loves on people. She listens. And she gives great advice. She is "hospitable without complaint". Many of my friends feel just as comfortable confiding information in my mom as they do in me. She probably knows more about my friends' lives than she does mine. She has that connection and that ability to listen and show love in a way that is so comforting.

Today is her birthday. Today is the first day since high school I have been home for her birthday. Usually I am in the middle of sorority rush and don't get to properly celebrate. Today I will get to spend the day with my sweet mom and love on her as she has always loved on me. She is dedicated to her family and truly exemplifies what a Godly woman should be. I hope to be as hospitable as her some day. Big shoes to fill....I don't think my strawberry cake will ever be as good as hers.

Happy Birthday Mom! Love you.


1 comment: