Tuesday, October 2, 2012

football and food: my life as of late.

Fall is officially here! As cliche as it may be...it is my most favorite season of all. The colors, the smells, the food, the leaves, the weather, and football season! My "visitor" as mentioned in my last post, warned me that when football season came, our weekends would look a little different. Having grown up with two brothers, and a family who thoroughly enjoys watching sports, I (thought I) knew what to expect.

I do enjoy watching football. I enjoy attending the event more than anything, but when that isn't an option, I do enjoy watching it on TV. There's something about the sound of the band, the announcers and ESPN Gameday echoing through the TV on Saturday that I just love. One of the first weekends of football this season, I spent with Visitor at his house. Auburn played at 11 AM that Saturday, so I (stupidly) thought "Oh good! Then we'll have the afternoon and evening to do something fun/enjoy this beautiful day!" Wrong. That evening I totaled the hours of football viewing. 13 hours, my friends. 13 hours. I guess I can't say I wasn't warned.

Now regardless of the 13 hours of football, I did have a great time. I'm glad I can do something with Visitor that I know he loves. And bless him, because he is so patient with me when I ask silly questions about this sport that I still don't completely understand. To this day, I get umpires and referees confused. Embarrassing...I know. So...Visitor, if you're reading this, thanks for opening my eyes to the unknowns of sports. I know my brothers appreciate you.

Once I accepted the fact that football season meant "different looking" weekends, I decided I could still have my fun during these viewings. When we don't get to make it to the Plains for the game, and we are sitting on the couch, I have found I can spend way too much time (and run down my phone battery three times in a day) on Pinterest. Thanks to this lovely invention, I have been pinning a million and one scrumptious looking recipes. If any of you Pinners can relate, you have pages and pages of recipes on your Pinterest boards and have never attempted any of them. I decided this would stop. I was going to tackle some...while Visitor watched football.

So this weekend, Visitor and little brother (home from college) got to be my taste testers for some Pinterest inspired creations. I have been on a quinoa kick lately. If you haven't cooked with it...and you like carbs...go get some! It is a great healthy alternative and is full of protein (and gluten free!).

*Recipes linked to the pictures below.

Visitor and I at the Auburn vs. LSU game

family at the tailgate--missing brother and sister-in-law!

reunited with my best friend on the Plains! 
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes

a taste of fall in a bite size treat

Quinoa Pizza Bites



And this...well...you can always find a reason to need a cookie cake, right?

1 comment: