Sunday, January 16, 2011

Welcome to 2nd Grade Ms. McKinney

One of the main inspirations for this blog was a birthday present I received in November; a blank journal. Inside was a note from a friend "We love your stories about your teaching experiences, please use this to write them all down during your internship so you'll never forget them, and so you can share them with us!" I will be taking this journal with me to school everyday to jot things down that I can later blog about. That way I can remember them and also share them with anyone who is interested in hearing about my wild ride through 2nd grade over the next 4 months (and whatever else may occur that is blog worthy).

I can't believe I'm writing about my internship before giving appropriate recognition to the National Champions of 2010! Don't worry...that post will be next. I wanted to be sure to include pictures and detailed descriptions of that experience, but my camera chord is currently MIA. And I wanted to write about my first day of 2nd grade before I forgot too much! But just so everyone knows, I have not forgotten. AUBURN WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!! War Eagle.

My trip to Glendale for the big game actually had a huge impact on my internship. The game was on Monday. I would be missing my first 2 days of my internship and returning to Auburn on Wednesday to begin. I questioned my decision and wether or not it was professional to miss my first 2 days (probably not at all). But after finding out my classroom teacher, who I will work under, is an Auburn grad, my brothers telling me I'd be crazy to pass this up, and Cam winning the Heisman...I needed little convincing. I'll explain in detail later about my trip, but to make a long story short; due to the blizzard that took place in Atlanta, our traveling plans changed and I didn't get back to Auburn until Thursday evening. At that point I had missed 4 days. All I could do was repeat in my head, "Don't stress, we're National Champs..." That justifies it right?

After much delay, I finally started 2nd grade Friday morning. The night before I set out 3 different outfits (I am ridiculously indecisive), made my lunch, and set my alarm for 5:30 (that's gonna be rough). I arrived at the school 15 minutes early, as nervous as a kindergartner on their first day of school. I sat in my car with a million thoughts running through my head. Would my teacher like me? Would the students like me? What if I hated it? What if I fall walking in..? I couldn't calm my nerves. I said a quick prayer and headed for the front door.

I was greeted at the front door by the principal with a big smile on her face. It was obvious she loved working at this school and she knew exactly who I was. "Are you the one that's been stranded in the desert and the blizzard? Welcome to our school!" She was so warm and welcoming and all of my premonitions were left at the door. I met several teachers as I made my way downstairs to the 2nd grade hall, and all of them were nothing but friendly. The school where I am interning has students from PreK-2nd Grade.

I found my classroom and met my teacher who I would be working with all semester. She is wonderful! She was so excited to meet me and made me feel so comfortable. She had set up a desk for me to use for the semester and had put together a folder of helpful information. Also in the folder were 15 letters, one from each student. They had all written me letters telling me about themselves and about their school. I got tickled reading some of them. Their inventive spelling and limited grammar skills made me smile, and also made me excited to get to teach them some of these skills.

As the students started filing it, it was obvious I was the "new kid". I heard little whispers and saw many wandering eyes. I smiled back and they quickly averted their attention elsewhere as if they didn't want me to know they were staring. I heard "Is that her? Where do you think she got her sweater? Where is her wedding ring? Do you think she's 19 or 40?"....yes these were all real questions.

After things settled down I was formally introduced. They went around the room and introduced themselves telling me their name, their favorite school subject, and something about themselves. Then it was my turn. With a game of "20 Questions" I was asked everything from "What is your favorite food?" to "Do you wear bump-its in your hair?" It was hard not to laugh, but I took the questions very seriously, because they were very serious about them.

Needless to say we got to know each other very well and I even get to eat at the lunch table with them in the school cafeteria; which was quite an experience in and of itself. I got a lunchbox for Christmas...I think I'll skip the lunch line and pack my lunch. Beef nuggets and mashed potatoes aren't nearly as appetizing as they were 14 years ago.

My first day couldn't have gone any better. I have been looking forward to my student teaching since I got into the College of Education and can't believe it is finally here. I am only 4 months away from graduating with a teaching certificate. I will (hopefully...) have my very own classroom. Their education in my hands....TERRIFYING! But so exciting at the same time! I've been dreaming about this since I was little when I started playing "school" in my playroom (See dad's blogpost).

One of the letters from my students read "Hi! I hope your excited. Cause were your coming is a good place. You will love it alot. Trust me when you smell the fresh air you will fill like your home. You will love our school and you will love your job. I promise!"

I can't help but smile at these sweet words and trust that this promise will not be broken. I am so excited about the next 4 months and know it will be a wonderful experience. If you're reading, welcome to 2nd grade, get ready for quite a journey!



2 comments:

  1. Yes what a journey you are taking! Can't wait to read more about it; you are going to do great! Love you, Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post. Somehow I got teary thinking about how sweet those kids are and cannot wait to have my own classroom too!

    ReplyDelete