Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Funnies

Today completed my first full week of 2nd grade. To say I'm exhausted would be an understatement. I am slowly becoming accustomed to the 5:45 A.M. wakeup call. However, the early bedtime is a bit of a struggle for this night owl. I have always loved staying up late, especially since I got to college. One of my best friends Katie and I are known amongst our friends to be the late night crazies. When we all lived in the dorm together on the sorority hall I would venture to guess the 2 of us each averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night. And then college started getting serious...I'd give anything to go back to Freshmen and Sophomore year. But I do love this current "season" (buzz word...that I strongly dislike, but appropriate for this context).

Besides the major adjustment to my sleep schedule, I am absolutely loving my internship! I may be saying otherwise in a couple of weeks when I start teaching full days. The children are precious and keep me smiling and laughing all day long. There is rarely a dull moment. I kept my notebook near this week and jotted things down, mostly memorable funnies that I knew would be blog worthy. So please enjoy a few of the week's greatest quotes.

During a small group reading discussion about Presidents' Day I presented the question, "If you could ask President Obama anything what would it be?" These were a few responses..
"How come the White House isn't in Alabama? Can you move it here so we can go to school with your daughters?"
"How come you ended slavery?" ....umm yeah...I don't know either...
"Who are you gonna get married to?"
"Can you change the rules so we can have more time at recess?"

During another small group reading discussion we were talking about Jackie Robinson...
"Oh yeah I had played against him in baseball one time. He good." ...doubt it?
"Is Jackie Robinson still alive?.....Oh. Well did he die 'cause someone killed him with a baseball?"

Who can tell me what a veterinarian is?
"Oh it's those people that don't eat meat!" ....no they're actually animal (A.K.A. meat) doctors

Talking about the dentist, I asked if anyone knew what a filling was...
"Oh yes! It's like when you cry or when you're happy"
Then I asked her if she knew what a tooth filling was...like with a cavity...her response?
"Yes like I would say 'My tooth is filling really sore today!'" ...next lesson? proper pronunciation of the word 'feeling'

"Is Santa Claus real? I know he doesn't drive one of those sleighs. Reindeer don't have wings. He must drive a sports car, like a mustang. The reindeer are just a joke to make a good story." ....Little does he know it's all a story.

While playing with paper money..."Ms. McKinney come o'er here suga, I'm about to make it rain. I'm rich baby!" ...the facial expressions were almost better than the quote

"My dad makes $80 a year. My family is richer than yours." ...if only that were rich

I asked a little boy if he had a Valentine and if so what was he going to get her...
"I won't let her know she's mine until the day of. She can wait. I'll give her a piece of chocolate or something but it's only for a day so it doesn't really matter."...This mentality can NOT start this early.

"Ms. McKinney were you born in 1499 or 1999?" ...sidenote, all of my students were either born in 2003 or 2004. How crazy is that!?

"Ms. McKinney are you gonna bring your son and your husband to school ever?" ...None of the above?

And the last one comes not from the mouth of a student...but the tshirt of a student. This is what it read...
"I know I'm special 'cus God don't make no junk" ...we wonder why children have trouble with grammar...let's just print grammatical errors right on their clothes!

Kids really do say the darndest things...

2 comments:

  1. Of course bad grammar is especially offensive to you, having grown up under my careful guidance.

    Love this. So great that you are writing it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is hilarious :) i can't even wait to experience all of this!

    ReplyDelete