Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wranglers, Buckaroos, and other ambiguous bathroom signs

I went to dinner with my 2 newest roommates Friday night...my mom and my dad. I could be the poster child for "moving back in with parents post college". My mom jokingly called me a "boomerang" one night to some friends that were over for dinner. "She leaves and then she just comes right back!" were her words exactly. She thought her joke was hilarious. I refuse to let her live it down. Her response is always the same "you know i didn't mean it like that sweetie!" Ah yes, they are thrilled to have me back. I dine with them regularly, find myself sitting in the den with them chatting on week (and weekend) nights, making occasional grocery trips with them, and attending park concerts. One night we were at the grocery store, after eating dinner out just the three of us, and my dad looks at me and says "You know you've hit a new low when the highlight of your night is going to the grocery store with your parents". Thanks Dad. Love you roomie.

Back to my original start of the story--dinner Friday night. We went to a new restaurant that just opened in this area called Tazikis. They have locations in Birmingham and it has always been one of my favorite places to eat when I'm there, so I was thrilled when I found out we were getting one. I highly recommend it if you like Greek/Mediterranean food! Anyways...before we left I went to use the restroom. The first door I come across says "GODS" with a very vague picture of some Greek figure in the clouds. I decided I needed to see what the next door said, not sure if the "GODS" door was for me. The next door read "GODDESSES". Thinking this must be my door, I see a similar picture to that of the "GODS"--a very indistinct Greek figure in clouds. Now I know I should have obviously known I was considered to be a Goddess, but why the need for themed gender signs? When I have to use the restroom, the last thing I want to have to do is stand in front of two doors and analyze words and pictures to determine which door I am to enter. There are some things in life that are just better off simple.

Gods and Goddesses...you're probably thinking "that isn't all that bad, anyone would know that". Let me just say this, when you come to two doors, and when you have to go to the bathroom, expecting to see clearly marked "MEN" and "WOMEN" signs, with no expectation of having to think about what gender you might be, the pressure amounts. The consequences of choosing the wrong door would not be fun...for you, or for the God or Goddess already inside. I am convinced they have hidden cameras above some of these confusing door signs and at the end of the day, staff gathers to view and laugh at very confused people.

Some restaurants even use different languages. I won't get political here, but this is America. If restaurants choose to label their doors with foreign words, they should at least use very distinguishable universal gender pictures that give an obvious sign to the (already stressed out and confused, English speaking) customer.

There really isn't a solution to this occasional dilemma for the public bathroom user, just a word to the wise; Use good "gender judgement" when determining your respective bathroom verdict. Some doors don't even provide words, only pictures. So be prepared to use your best artistic abilities to decide which picture best depicts you. You never know when you might have to decide if you are: a lad or a lass, a prince or a princess, a chica or a chico, and my personal favorite--a wrangler or a buckaroo. If I came to two doors labeled with those last two "genders" I would walk out, find my nearest gas station and give a huge sigh of relief at the sight of two familiar words: MEN and WOMEN.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of just what I am talking about.

We aren't even a living thing...we must decide which shoe we are.
Lions....really?
Beetles must be men because they aren't as pretty as butterflies...naturally.
I've always wanted to decide which accessory I'd be!
Sooooo obvious....
I'd love to know how many people have gotten this one wrong...
No "hens" just "chicks"...hmmm
I mean really...
Because women always wear hair bows and all men wear bowties, this should surely be obvious.
The way it should be. Simplicity at its finest.

3 comments:

  1. Okay. I'm still trying to figure out which is which with the "wranglers & buckaroos". Guess I should admit there's one photo set I'm not 100% sure about, too.

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! I'll be honest..I'm still not sure which is which...am I wrangler or a buckaroo...? Such unnecessary confusion...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I have been known to just walk in to the one clearly marked "WOMEN." Sometimes I just don't read signs. Pitiful, isn't it?

    Love having you as a roommate and frequent dining companion.

    ReplyDelete