Monday, August 22, 2011

Oh to be a freshman again...

A couple of weeks ago I said goodbye to my little (bigger than me) brother as he headed off to the loveliest village on the plains to begin his freshman year of college. My older brother and I have instilled in him the excitement, along with the jealousy, we have for him has he begins this journey. What I wouldn't give to be in his shoes. Freshmen year really was my favorite year of college. Everything is new and fresh and exhilarating. They don't call it Freshman year for nothing. You're getting a taste of living on your own, while still living off of your parents. Have you really thought about that...? Let's be honest, it doesn't get much better.

My sweet parents have been dreading this day for a while now, taking their last one to college, officially earning the title "empty nesters". I like to subtly remind them that I am back home, still living under their roof, still sleeping right across the hall from them....and still unemployed. That last one doesn't really help my case. Of course they are glad to have me here, but their last one has fled the coop and they are going through a phase in which they feel they must "redefine" themselves (their words, not mine). I can hardly say David's name without them getting emotional. I have also learned the hard way, that it is not yet appropriate to make jokes about him being gone. The day they got back from moving him in, I tried to lighten the mood with "One good thing about Dave being gone is that the bathroom stays a lot cleaner!" I immediately regretted my words. My mom quickly rebutted "I'd rather have a dirty bathroom and David here than a clean one with him gone!" I learned my lesson. Too soon for jokes.

He really is doing great though and is loving Auburn so far. Thanks to the newest Facebook addition, video chat, I got to see his smiling face a few days ago. He is still making time for his sister, and for that I am thankful. I'm so proud of him and know he is going to love it down there.

The day my parents returned from moving him in, I sat in the kitchen with them and soaked up their somber moods. I tried to be understanding, but knew their wasn't much comfort I could give them. I had pretty much worn out the "Hey, at least I'm still here!" line. My mom told me that after having moved all three of us into college, not one of us turned back after they said goodbye to us. I tried to explain the emotions I had when I said goodbye to them. Of course I was sad, but the feeling I had of excitement and freedom cannot even be described. I remember walking back up the stairs to my new dorm room, my new roommate, my new home, after saying goodbye to my parents; and being absolutely thrilled about starting a new chapter. I barely knew a soul, I had no idea what to expect, I had one friend-my roommate, but I was on my own, and felt like I was starting with a blank slate. The thought of meeting new people and living in a new place excited me! I explained it to my mom as "playing house". I grew up with a very girly imagination. I played house and school on a daily basis. I used to pretend the upstairs was my apartment. So when I had my own dorm room, I felt as if I was playing house, for real!

I know David of course wouldn't describe his new adventure as I would. Playing house was never really his thing, unless I made him play with me. But I do hope that this beginning is just as thrilling for him as it was for me. No year compared to freshmen year for me, and I hope he will soak up every second.

After 4 years, you could say I accumulated quite a bit of "stuff" that now sits in the basement. This contributed to one of my dad's greatest goals for moving David to college; that he would be a minimalist. I think they did pretty well. Here are some pics of David's new room/move-in day, and mine from 4 years ago. My how boys and girls differ.

All of David's friends the night before he left for Auburn
The newest Empty Nesters moving their last one to college. 
Dave's new humble abode. Such a boy-minimal decoration

My sweet friends the morning I left for Auburn- August 2007
Move In Day!! August 2007
Lindsey and I on our first night in our new room



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these photos! Truly no comparison between boys and girls. I hope your parents adjust soon. :)

    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sweetie, this is great. We are doing better, don't you think?

    Having you at home with us makes it bearable and I am so glad you are here! You're learning so much from me . . . like how David has flown the COOP, not the COUP.

    You are a wonderful daughter and a wonderful sister. Remember, and trust me on this: the best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete