Friday, December 24, 2010

Double Points for red noses!

Last year right around Thanksgiving, a friend of mine and I were out driving through our suburban hometown of Brentwood when we began to notice a common trend among vehicles. The first time I saw it I just sort of stared and thought it peculiar. After driving down the main road that runs through Brentwood though, and seeing this "trend" on countless cars, I became fascinated and somewhat amused.

Before I explain this most recent Christmas phenomenon, let me preface by saying that I have several "Christmas quirks" I guess you could call them. I probably get them from my dad, who has many quirks himself, especially in regards to the holidays.

1. Christmas music is only allowed after Thanksgiving. 
2. I will never have an artificial Christmas tree. 
3. Don't overdo the outside lights...a little bit goes a long way.
4. Inflatable decorations...just don't.
5. Christmas presents should be opened slowly by taking turns. Everyone must watch everyone else open their presents. In addition, see #6...
6. I like Christmas to last. I'm "that kid" that sort of gathers my presents and enjoys it slowly. My family laughs because they say at the end when everyone else is done with presents I have barely started. (They tend to exaggerate)
7. People who send out Christmas letters need to adhere to certain guidelines...please see my dad's blog for his take on how it should be done. (Maybe after reading you'll see where I get some of my quirks?)

Number 8 has been added after last year. 8. Don't decorate your car for Christmas. This trend of which I speak is what I call the Reindeer Phenomenon, or Reindeer on Wheels. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas. It is my favorite holiday and I love everything about it. But I think "being festive" must stop somewhere.

Let me give you a picture of what this looks like for those of you who don't know. If you really want to jump on the bandwagon, or Santa's sleigh I'll call it, then you can get a Reindeer car kit at your local Walgreen's. This seasonal set comes equipped with 2 antler attachments, (1 for each side of your car) and if you get the Rudolph Edition, you get a red nose for the front bumper. See below.


Last year was definitely more mild with fewer reindeer cruising the streets of Brentwood, but this year the trend has become contagious. It is very popular among minivans and luxury cars. A couple of my friends and I came up with a game last year in regards to this marvel. Starting the day after Thanksgiving, also the same day Christmas music can be played, a reindeer hunt begins. For every car that is seen displaying reindeer antlers, 1 point is received. But wait, there's more. If the front of the car is visible and you spot that very shiny nose, boom! Double points!

So far this Christmas, I have 223 points. Granted, a few of my points could be repeat cars, but we don't count that as a rule. If you'd like to play this game, please feel free. It's quite fun and turns comical once you get others involved. Total all players' scores in the end. There is no winner, just shock at the number of people involved in decorating their cars for Christmas.

To score a large number of guaranteed points visit the following places: mall, grocery store, YMCA, Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, McDonalds.

Merry Christmas and drive safely, there are reindeer on the roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment