Sunday, December 12, 2010

It's About Time

I have been saying for a long time now that I wanted to start a blog. Wanting to do something and actually doing it are two very different things, especially when it comes to my perfectionist self.  I think I actually have about 3 blank blog templates that I started and never finished. One of the main reasons I never completed a final blog was because "I couldn't find the time". I find myself saying that a lot, sounds like a personal problem to me. In my mind, a blog wasn't just for writing...oh no. It needed to be cute, colorful, darling and organized. I tend to overanalyze (a lot), so a blog to me required a lot of time that I just didn't have. If I had one I would have to maintain it and check on it...sounds like too much responsibility if you ask me...so I suppressed my longing to enter the blogging world. All of that extra time it takes could definitely be used elsewhere. It's not like I am an unemployed college student still reaping the benefits of my parents and have no responsibility other than getting myself to class.....oh, wait.


After much consideration, and over a month's worth of Christmas break with not a whole lot to do (this may change after my dad reads that part), I decided I finally had some time to sit down and create my ideal blog. I'm still learning all of the little tricks, and I'd definitely say it's a work in progress, but thanks to my friend helping me with the basics,this is what I've come up with. Cute, colorful, darling and organized, just like I had in mind.


My Dad got me started on blogs. He majored in journalism, and is one of the most talented writers I know. He can sit down and write something beautifully with little to be changed or edited. I am envious of his talent and his ability to put things into words. He is a faithful blogger and I get my inspiration from him. However, because I know he'll be reading this, I will probably go through the entire writing process I learned in middle school just to ensure everything is perfect and grammatically correct. He would never criticize me of course, but he won't mind making suggestions/comments.


My little brother, 18, takes after him and has a vocabulary that is beyond both his years and mine. He writes for his high school newspaper and I am always amazed by his articles. I am kind of obsessed with my family, so you'll see that I mention them a lot in this blog. There are 5 of us and I'd say we make for some pretty good stories; more on that later.


Along with the pressure of making a visually appealing blog, just as important is the blog title. It doesn't stop there, add the burden of the blog description. Some people have specific blog subjects, mine will be a compilation of my life happenings, both present and past. And I can guarantee you I couldn't give you a "blog description" in the limited number of characters they allow you in that little box. After much consideration and deep thought, I came up with Delightfully Living. The definition of delight that I found was: a feeling of extreme pleasure or satisfaction; joy: a source of happiness. I find my life to be just that; satisfying, joyful, and happy. Delight isn't only found in the dictionary. One of my favorite bible verses is Psalm 37:4, hence my "blog description". The word delight is found throughout the Book of Psalms: Psalm 22:8, 35:9, 37:23, 111:2, 112:1, 147:11. All of these verses refer to us as believers delighting in the Lord, but also the Lord delighting in us. My desire is to live a life that glorifies God, and one that both He and I can delight in, together.


So I guess this is the beginning of my blogging journey. I promise to be somewhat consistent, but that doesn't mean at times I won't be inconsistent. I start my internship in January as a student teacher in a 2nd grade classroom. After being given a journal for my birthday last month and being requested to record stories and funny happenings, I figured a blog would be a perfect outlet for these things. I'm not even sure who will read this. I do know I can rely on my dad to be a faithful follower and probably commenter. I'll accept that. I can just be content with myself knowing that I finally overcame my fear of blogging and made one. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Great, Sweetie! I am honored to enter the first comment!

    I'm so proud of you and in honor of your first entry I will give no grammatical critique. Love you . . .

    ReplyDelete