Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I believe in Auburn and LOVE it

I am in my fourth and final year at Auburn University, and boy has it been amazing! If I had it my way I would get to linger a little longer in the loveliest village and take my time earning that prized diploma. Unfortunately, as I have learned through life, I don't always get my way. And I can guarantee you the idea of "lingering" as an out of state student, would not even be considered a funny joke if brought up to my parents.

Fortunately, I have been blessed with amazing friendships and learned so much from my experience at Auburn. It will be bittersweet graduating in May (but mostly bitter).

Although I am bias, Auburn is just different. Its special. Its beautiful. The people, the tradition, and the town itself create a euphoric world. I want everyone to experience the pride I feel from attending this school. I get this thrill every time I pull into campus, and even more of a thrill during football season; which brings me to my point.

Growing up with two brothers who are sports fanatics, I quickly became accustomed to the importance of the game of football. My parents are from Arkansas and both my brothers and I were born there. In my early years I grew up thinking I was a Razorback fan, calling the hogs. When we moved to Tennessee, I assumed I should be a Tennessee fan (that never happened, but I do love the Titans). And when my older brother decided to go to Auburn, I thought I'd try them out for a change. The first time I took a visit down to the plains was for a football game in the Fall of 2004. I was immediately drawn to the small college town and all of its' tradition. It wasn't until my senior year, Fall of 2006, that I took an official college visit. I had just visited Alabama and was very impressed with the way they presented their university and also their campus. My brother didn't like the sound of that and quickly became concerned we may have a house divided. He kept quiet though, allowing me to choose the path I wanted. While on my tour at Auburn we were on Samford lawn learning all about the many traditions of this iconic location. The clock struck noon, the fight song started ringing from the bell tower, and almost as if it were planned, my brother drove by and gave out a loud 'War Eagle!'. If that wasn't a sign then the chills I got were. I had fallen in love with this place and right then was when I decided I would be attending Auburn that following Fall.

That was almost five years ago. Now in my senior year, there is only one thing standing between me and my last semester as a student; the BCS National Championship Game. As silly as it sounds, football is not taken lightly in Auburn; or really in the state of Alabama. On game day, Auburn becomes the 4th most populated city in the state. Basically...the city shuts down every Saturday of a home game in the Fall.

This season we had a new player join the team, who if you haven't heard of (but that's ridiculous), I'd be glad to introduce; Cam Newton. If you are friends with me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter, you are probably familiar with my infatuation. In fact I think I've gone a little overboard, but I just can't help it. I try not to use the word obsessed...but sometimes I worry I am borderline.

Cam has had an incredible season. Let's be honest, he was just awarded the Heisman. See? I have good reason to be fascinated by him! Aside from his on-field accomplishments, he has had a very rough season and has put up with a lot of criticism. He has handled it all in such a way that even those who doubted him should respect. I can't say that there weren't some "sketchy" things that may have gone on in regards to money. I honestly don't know. But after extensive investigation, the NCAA did report that none of it involved Cam Newton or Auburn University. Cam is an eligible player (and bachelor...what?). He has joined the Auburn family and as a team they have fought this entire season against every opposing team and rightfully earned the SEC title, and a chance to earn the National title.

I don't love Cam just for his talent, or his looks, or his award winning smile; although those are all great, especially the smile. From what I can tell, Cam is just a normal person, blessed with a talent, but also blessed with a heart for people. Because I'm an Education major, and because I absolutely love children; I can't help but love his heart for children and his desire to be a role model to them. The video below is a brief summary of Cam's weekly contribution to a local elementary school in Auburn. The link at the bottom is an article on the students' big surprise sendoff for Cam to the Heisman ceremony. I challenge you not to have some sort of admiration for him after this if you don't already. Oh yeah! I also included a snapshot of my favorite Cam picture...just incase you needed to see that smile. I'll use the same final words Cam used in his Heisman Speech; WAR EAGLE.




http://auburn.247sports.com/Board/42/Wrights-Mill-School-and-Cam-456148/1
http://www.auburn.rivals.com/photofeature.asp?SID=884&fid=35442

No comments:

Post a Comment