Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dancing in the Minefield

If any of you know me well, you know this: I have serious song A.D.D.

It is near impossible for me to listen to an entire song. I love music, and I especially love good lyrics. I'm a sucker for [country] songs that are cliché in every sense of the word. I have a file saved on my computer of my favorite lyrics. I fast-forward through songs just to get to my favorite line. I dream of being serenaded by romantic music. In concordance with that, my dream husband can play the guitar, sing, and play the piano (but a sweet attempt at singing will suffice). I adore wedding music. I have a father who is musically talented and has an ear for a beautiful melody. I live in Music City, I can't help but soak it up.

Okay...ALL that being said, and now that you see my obsession with music. I find it only necessary that I share with you some of my current listening selections from time to time on here.

Now I didn't mention this with my other musical quirks, but I also have a 'Repeat' problem. Once I find a song that I like, with a good beat, catchy tune, and good lyrics; I purchase it (yes, I legally download it) on iTunes, and listen to it over and over and over again. No lie. Ask my friends. At one time I became emotionally attached to the song Have A Little Faith In Me by John Hiatt. If they're reading this they're laughing, because they know it's true. I played it nonstop. It all started when it was played during a slideshow of pictures, which was enough to make me cry. If you wanna get me hook, line, and sinker; just throw together some pictures and cue the music. Wah-Bam! Done. You've got me. Pictures...that's a whole different "obsession" blog post, don't even get me started.

ANYWAYS...I had been introduced to a Christian artist by the name of Andrew Peterson a couple of years ago, and somehow ended up with a random song of his on my iPod. That seems to happen sometimes and it, along with some other odd songs, got put away in a box in my iPod titled "random songs I never listen to, but maybe someday will so I'll leave them on here just incase". Fast-forward to September. Driving in the car with one of my friends listening to a mixed CD of random music in her car. I hear this song and literally die at the lyrics. She told me the artist's name was Andrew Peterson. I recognized the name and I immediately go home, buy the CD, watch the video on YouTube, and add it to my imaginary 'Repeat' Playlist, that I don't actually have, but should. This song hasn't left my "Recently Played" Playlist on iTunes in months, and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. His lyrics are so sweet and hold so much meaning. And the video is one of those that will warm your heart. I'm waiting for the opportunity to use this song in a slideshow of pictures...duh.

P.S. I highlighted my favorite lines. The ones I fast-forward to over and over again.


Dancing in the Minefield
Well I was 19 you were 21
The year we got engaged
Everyone said we were much too young
But we did it anyway
We got the rings for 40 each from a pawnshop down the road
We said our vows and took the leap now 15 years ago

Chorus: 
We went dancing in the minefields
We went sailing in the storm
And it was harder than we dreamed
But I believe that’s what the promise is for
Well ‘I do’ are the two most famous last words
The beginning of the end
But to lose your life for another I’ve heard is a good place to begin
Cause the only way to find your life is to lay your own life down
And I believe it’s an easy price for the life that we have found 


Chorus: 
And we’re dancing in the minefields
We’re sailing in the storm
This is harder than we dreamed
But I believe that’s what the promise is for
That’s what the promise is for

Bridge:
So when I lose my way, find me
When I lose loves chains, bind me
At the end of all my faith
to the end of all my days
when I forget my name, remind me 

'Cause we bear the light of the son of man
So there’s nothing left to fear
So I’ll walk with you in the shadow lands
Till the shadows disappear
Cause he promised not to leave us
And his promises are true 

So in the face of all this chaos baby
I can dance with you

Chorus: 
So lets go dancing in the minefields
Lets go sailing in the storms
Oh lets go dancing in the minefields
And kicking down the doors
Oh lets go dancing in the minefields
And sailing in the storms
Oh this is harder than we dreamed
But I believe that’s what the promise is for
That’s what the promise is for


3 comments:

  1. That friend sounds like a pretty cool girl to introduce you (again) to Andrew Peterson and to such a wonderful song!! :)

    I miss you so much Mags and I listen to your CD that you made me before I left! I'm hoping to find some good Australian music around here so Ill have to let you know if I do! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes nothing like good lyrics.

    I just heard a song by Matthew West that would be great for the rehearsal dinner video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maggie! It's John Mays

    I have a Google alert set up for Andrew's name, and was pleasantly surprised to find one that lead to your blog!

    Just wanted to say thanks SO much for mentioning Andrew's song. He's one of the artists on our label (Centricity) and mentions like this are invaluable in getting his music out. Not to mention so encouraging to him and our whole team.

    I'm at john@centricitymusic.com. Feel free to write anytime if you'd like hear any of our other artists (or just to say "hey").

    In a day when we struggle so much to find ways to expose music amid all the noise out there, these sorts of posts are a complete blessing to us and our artists. Very grateful.

    Love your family!

    Blessings-

    ReplyDelete