Sunday, October 23, 2011

The baby's growin' up

Today the baby of the family turned 19 years old. I still can't believe he is 19 and in college! This is the first birthday he has spent away from home. My parents are convinced he is feeling the sadness of not being with his family on his birthday for the first time, but I am convinced they are the sad ones and they are just hoping he feels the same way. Seeing that he spent a fun weekend with some of his new pledge brothers in Birmingham, I have a hard time believing he didn't enjoy his birthday weekend. Although I know my parents will read this, so for their comfort, I'm sure he missed a home cooked birthday dinner prepared on the red "You Are Special Today" plate. McKinney family tradition. 

The birthday boy
He is truly a joy in our family and brings lots of smiles and laughter. I envy his wit and humor and energetic outlook on life. He is always fun to be around...unless: 1) Auburn has lost 2) he has gotten an inadequate amount of sleep or 3) you make a comment about him being on his phone or his inability to take care of it.

I have always been like a "mother" to David. I have had a motherly sense about me ever since I was little and when David was born, he wasn't just a baby brother to me, he was a real live baby doll! Sometimes my parents had to step in and kindly remind me who his parents were. They still have to do this from time to time. When I played "house", he was my child. When I played "dentist" (yes, I played dentist) he was my patient. When I played "beauty shop" he was my model. My older brother joined in for this fun. We actually dressed David up, painted his nails, and did his makeup. Oh, and we named him Barbara. As David got older, my mom told us Barbara would be no more. When I played "school", he was my student. I made him call me Mrs. Landers, and I also gave him tests...I graded them harshly. I vividly remember one time in the playroom (A.KA. my classroom), David didn't do well on one of my test and I wrote an "F" on his paper and told him I would be calling his mother. I wasn't sure who to call...myself or my real mother. The roles got very confusing. He was a good sport, putting up with my antics. But I like to think I contributed to his manners and well being today, along with my parents who actually did the raising of this baby turned 19-year-old.

Needless to say, we have had some great times together and he is truly a blessing in my life. I value the relationship we have, as well as the one all three of us have together. I am extremely fortunate to be the only girl in the middle of two amazing young men. (Dave, I guess since you're 19 you're now old enough to be called a "man")

Thanks for being a great little brother and such a wonderful person! Love you! 

P.S. For your sake, I won't post any Barbara pictures...wouldn't want those to get loose on the web.

Even in a 'stache he looks good
David's High School graduation! May 2011
McKinney sibs. Love them so much

No comments:

Post a Comment