Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fall in a Muffin

Fall is finally here! It is my favorite season for so many reasons; the weather, the colors, the smells, football, the warm clothes, Thanksgiving, and food! Now I must admit I get a little cynical when it comes to some peoples' obsessions with seasons; especially fall. If you have a Facebook or if you're on Twitter, I'd venture to guess in the past month or so you've seen at least one, if not 20, posts regarding fall. Words included in these post may include, but are not limited to: cold, warm, candles, fires, boots, cuddling, scarves, sweaters, coffee, 'a good book', pumpkins, and my all time favorite (the most overused 3 words used all season) pumpkin spice lattes. I honestly don't know how it is not a trending topic worldwide. Now hear me out...I love fall and everything that comes with it. But if I had a nickel for every time someone has mentioned a "pumpkin spice latte" via some social media source; I might actually be able to afford one from Starbucks. I haven't actually tasted this notorious beverage, but if I ever do, I'll be sure and tell the barista at Starbucks they've got quite an advertising crew via my Facebook and Twitter feed. 

People really do get excited out about pumpkin season. I love the taste, but too much of it will make me sick of it real quick. I like it baked, usually in bread form; wether its bread, cookies, or muffins. For some reason I can't do pumpkin pie. Something about the texture just does me in. 

A few years ago, one of my college friends had made pumpkin muffins, and after eating one, I could have easily eaten the entire pan. I believe I would have gone into a sugar coma. You'll see why after I share the recipe. When I came home for Thanksgiving that year I tried out the recipe myself. They didn't turn out as good as hers on my first attempt, but they still got eaten. Having two brothers (with hungry guy friends) means "Cook it and they will come". I've made these muffins every year since then and I must say I think my batch this past weekend was my best. This year my little brother was the one coming home from college instead of me, and I sent him back to Auburn with a container full of muffins for him and his friends. I'm not sure if he decided to share or not...but that was the idea. 

If fall had a taste, it would be the sensation you get when you bite into one of these muffins. A little dramatic? Don't knock it 'til you try it. And if you're one of the many that have fallen victim to the Pumpkin Spice Latte phenomenon, I bet one of these muffins would compliment it quite well!

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1 16 oz. can pumpkin
2.5 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cloves
Chocolate chips (you decide how much!)

Combine oil, eggs, and pumpkin. Mix well.

Add remaining dry ingredients and beat until smooth.


Stir in chocolate chips.


Pour into muffin tins. (I spray the muffin tins with Baker's Joy so they don't stick!)


Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Makes about 2 dozen muffins.

**You can also use loaf pans with this batter if you'd rather. Bake at 325 in 3 small loaf pans for 45-55 minutes. Cool in pans before removing.


Happy Fall! Enjoy them! I know this guy does...he even helped me make them last year! (Stirring and posing for this picture was about the extent of his "help")




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I will forward it on to my daughter's friend who loves everything pumpkin.
    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete