Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nordstrom says it perfectly

I am a big believer in celebrating holidays one at a time. It makes my skin crawl when I see holiday items and decorations in stores and displayed on lawns a good month (sometimes longer) before the holiday. However, the worst is right around this time of year when three holidays fall very close together: Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I love holidays, and I love decorating for them even more. But sometimes people jump the gun and go straight from singing summer songs about the beach to singing Jingle Bells and I Saw Mama Kissing Santa Claus. I love Christmas music too, but pump the brakes folks. You can still listen to your music after Thanksgiving, the lyrics will not change. And as for you early decorators, your inflatable Santa and accompanying reindeer don't need to go out any earlier than they have to. I'm doing you a favor by sharing this tip...trust me on this one.

If you think I feel strongly about this, you should meet my dad. Halloween has always been one of his favorite holidays, which is kind of funny if you know my dad. That is probably the last holiday I would ever choose for him as a "favorite". He told us this week, "I love Halloween. I do it big on Halloween. Open the door, put out a bowl of candy, and listen for trick or treaters." Real "big" huh? From the sound of it, he likes Halloween because it requires very little of him. 

When my sister in law told us about a sign she saw in the window at Nordstrom, I immediately searched for it on Google. If my dad had the means to do so, he would have this copied and reposted in store windows throughout the United States. Wouldn't even be surprised if he came up for one similar to hang on our door. Thank you for this, Nordstrom. I couldn't agree more. Happy Halloween! (the next big holiday)

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that! Great marketing

    ReplyDelete
  2. As many years as I've known your father I did not know that about him. My younger daughter loves Halloween, too, and encourages me to decorate - despite the fact nobody sees it and we don't get trick-or-treaters.

    I love the Nordstrom ad and agree 100%.

    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must help me put that Nordstrum piece on my blog. In fact, it's time for total blog overhaul. Get me on your calendar.

    I will remind you that, when you were ever so little, I was the one who took you trick-or-treating and I was the one who carved the pumpkin with you. No, I don't decorate with orange lights, etc. but I DO go all out for Halloween . . . as I define it. Love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete